Cricket chiefs have launched an investigation into allegations of racist abuse against the India team from sections of the crowd in the third Test, when six people were dismissed and play was interrupted for nearly 10 minutes on Sunday. The International Cricket Council (ICC) probe followed Mohammed Siraj and Jasprit Bumrah apparently targeted as they worked along the Sydney Cricket Ground boundary lines late Saturday.
In a second incident, the game was interrupted just before the tea break on Sunday when Siraj ran from the fine leg line to the umpires and pointed into the crowd.
It was not immediately clear what had been said, but police were seen removing six men from their seats.
Cricket Australia apologized to India, saying anyone who cunningly caught racist abuse would be banned.
“Cricket Australia condemns in the strongest possible terms all discriminatory behavior,” said Sean Carroll, Cricket Australia’s Chief Integrity and Security. “If you are racially abused you are not welcome in Australian cricket.
“CA awaits the outcome of the International Cricket Council’s investigation into the matter reported to the SCG on Saturday,” it added.
“Once those responsible are identified, CA will take the strongest possible action under our Anti-Harassment Code, including long-term bans, further sanctions and referral to NSW Police.
“As hosts of the series, we offer our unconditional apologies to our friends on the Indian cricket team and assure them that we will pursue the case in full.”
Australian great Shane Warne called the public’s behavior shameful on Saturday.
“Shameful to be fair, absolutely shameful,” he said while commenting on the match. “Let’s hope they come down hard and find the culprits.”
Only 10,000 fans – a quarter of capacity – are admitted to the Sydney Cricket Ground every day due to concerns about the coronavirus, making their chants and screams more audible.
Topics mentioned in this article