Cricket Australia (CA) made it clear on Tuesday that it remains committed to hosting the day-night trial between India and Australia in Adelaide, despite a sudden increase in COVID-19 cases in South Australia. “CA continues to monitor the situation in South Australia, but remains committed to organizing the first Vodafone test against India at the Adelaide Oval,” CA said in an official statement.
India and Australia will compete in three ODIs, three T20Is and four tests. The first test of the series starts on December 17 in Adelaide. The first test of the series will be a daytime and evening competition.
Cricket Australia also clarified that the players and staff from Western Australia, Tasmania and Queensland who make up the Australian ODI and T20I squads will travel to Sydney today to begin their preparation for both series.
This decision was made after players returning from the Marsh Sheffield Shield hub in South Australia after the last round were subject to changes in the preconditions by the aforementioned state governments.
The Adelaide Strikers and players from South Australia from other BBL squads travel to a training base in Coffs Harbor today. This decision was made after the Tasmanian government announced tougher border restrictions with South Australia. The Big Bash League starts on Thursday December 10 in Hobart.
Cricket Australia also confirmed that none of the Adelaide players for the Marsh Sheffield Shield have visited the “hot spots” identified by the SA health authorities.
CA has also instructed all players to undergo COVID-19 testing, with all results received so far being negative.
Nick Hockley, interim CEO of Cricket Australia, said steps were taken today to ensure the summer schedule is not compromised by recently announced border restrictions.
“CA has taken a proactive approach and has mobilized a number of people across the country over the past 24 hours to strengthen our men’s national and international schedules. I would like to thank the players and staff for understanding the changes in their travel schedules and for their dedication to making the summer of cricket a huge success, ”said Hockley.
“CA will continue to monitor the situation in South Australia and the resulting border restrictions across the country. Formats,” it added.
Topics mentioned in this article