Facebook, Twitter Take action against Trump’s misleading COVID-19 posts

0
14

Twitter disabled retweets on Tuesday for a tweet from Trump and added a warning label

Facebook Inc and Twitter on Tuesday took action against U.S. President Donald Trump’s posts for breaking their rules on coronavirus misinformation by pointing out that COVID-19 was just like the flu.

Facebook removed the post, but not before it was shared approximately 26,000 times, data from the company’s CrowdTangle metric tool showed.

“We are removing incorrect information about the severity of COVID-19,” a company spokesman told Reuters.

The world‘s largest social media company that bans politicians from its third party fact-checking program has rarely taken action against contributions from the Republican President.

Twitter turned off retweets for a similar tweet from Trump on Tuesday and added a warning label stating that it has violated its rules on “spreading misleading and potentially harmful information related to COVID-19,” but that it would be in the public interest could that it is still accessible.

During the 2019-2020 influenza season, influenza was linked to 22,000 deaths in the US, according to estimates by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Since the first case of the novel coronavirus was recorded in the United States earlier this year, more than 210,000 people have died in the country from the disease caused by the virus, the world‘s highest death toll.

On Monday, Trump told Americans to “get out” and not be afraid of COVID-19 when he returned to the White House after spending three days in a military hospital outside Washington, where he was being treated for COVID-19.

“Silicon Valley and the mainstream media have consistently used their platforms to fear and censor President Trump in order to fulfill their own agenda, even now at this critical moment in the fight against the coronavirus,” said Courtney Parella, spokeswoman for Trump -Campaign.

Twitter, which uses labels to mark tweets with misinformation – including from the president – told Reuters that it is currently trying to act faster and more openly.

Facebook removed a Trump post for the first time in August for coronavirus misinformation. The post contained a video in which the president falsely claimed that children were “almost immune” to COVID-19.

(This story was not edited by GossipMantri staff and is automatically generated from a syndicated feed.)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here