Rescue workers recovered a fourth body on Saturday and were looking for another six people who were still missing days after a landslide near the Norwegian capital.
King Harald was supposed to visit the village of Ask on Sunday, 25 kilometers northeast of Oslo, where an intensive search and rescue operation has been carried out in the early hours of Wednesday morning since the disaster.
“We have made a new discovery of a dead person. It is located in the same area as the third body,” said police officer Knut Hammer at a press conference on a day on which three bodies were found in the bleak, snow-covered scene of Ask. in the municipality of Gjerdrum.
Police on Saturday identified the body of the first person they found on Friday and said it was 31-year-old Eirik Grønolen.
The police have not yet identified the other three dead. On Friday, they released a list of 10 people who were not reported: eight adults, a two-year-old and a 13-year-old child.
According to police, 10 people were injured in the landslide, including one who was brought to Oslo for treatment shortly after the disaster.
When an entire hillside collapsed, houses were buried in mud, others were split in two, and some houses swayed over a crater created by the mudslides, and some subsequently fell over the edge.
The landslide destroyed several houses and displaced others hundreds of meters.
Earlier on Saturday, local police chief Ida Melbo Oystese said the authorities had hoped some people would have survived thanks to air bubbles in partially intact buildings.
“Work through the night”
About a thousand people had to be evacuated from Gjerdrum, which has 5,000 residents, for fear of the safety of their homes. From Friday to Saturday there was more land movement overnight.
“We’re in a hotel,” two of the evacuees, Olav Gjerdingen and Sissel Meyer Gjerdingen, told AFP. “It’s a completely surreal and horrific situation.”
Search and rescue teams have used sniffer dogs, helicopters, and drones to find survivors.
The search teams also dug channels in the ground to evacuate anyone found alive.
“We have built so many evacuation routes in order to be able to take out (survivors) quickly that we can now work through the night,” Knut Halvorsen, an officer of the rescue team, told reporters in the late afternoon.
The Norwegian Directorate for Water Resources and Energy (NVE) said the disaster was a “fast clay slide” about 300 by 800 meters.
Fast tone is a type of tone found in Norway and Sweden that can break down and turn into liquid when overused.
The authorities have banned all aircraft from the disaster area by 3:00 p.m. on Monday as they are conducting flight searches.
Prime Minister Erna Solberg visited the site on Wednesday, calling it one of the largest landslides the country has ever seen.
The royal court said in a statement that the king, his wife Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon would visit the disaster area towards the end of Sunday morning.
The disaster caught the attention of this nation by five million people over the New Year holidays.
(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by GossipMantri staff and posted from a syndicated feed.)