Man suspected of throwing fire extinguishers at police in the US Capitol is arrested


Last week’s deadly violence resulted in Trump’s impeachment on Wednesday.


A retired firefighter suspected of throwing a fire extinguisher at police during the mob attack on the US Capitol last week has been arrested, a US Justice Department spokeswoman confirmed Thursday.

Robert Sanford, 55, of Chester, Pennsylvania, is due to appear in a virtual hearing in federal court in Allentown, Pennsylvania Thursday on charges of illegal entry, civil disorder and assault, resisting or obstruction of the police.

According to court records, Sanford was caught on video in which what appeared to be a fire extinguisher was hurled at the police station.

“The object appears to hit an officer who was wearing a helmet in the head. The object then ricochets and hits another officer who was not wearing a helmet in the head

The object then bounces off a third time and hits a third officer wearing a helmet in the head, “the documents say.

The Justice Department has opened more than 70 criminal cases since supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 to prevent Congress from confirming Joe Biden as the winner of the U.S. presidential election.

Many of those arrested so far have been caught on social media bragging about participating in the attack, and the FBI has combed through more than 100,000 videos and photos.

After the violence was suppressed, most of the rioters were allowed to leave the Capitol, which means law enforcement has had to track them down in the past few days.

One such person was Hunter Ehmke, who on Thursday was accused by the Justice Department of damaging government property, obstructing an official trial and forcibly entering.


According to court records, a Capitol police officer saw Ehmke smash a window in the Capitol and rushed towards him with his shield to try to stop him.

According to the documents, the officer “lost his grip on the shield and fell” into shards of glass. The police managed to arrest Ehmke, but the crowd became aggressive and threatened the police not to take Ehmke away.

“Because of the growing aggression of the large crowd, who vastly outnumbered the officers, and the urgency of the situation

At that time, the officials made the decision to let Ehmke leave on their own, “the government said.

Ehmke was due to be in court in the Central District of California at 1 p.m. PST.

Last week’s deadly violence led to Trump’s impeachment by the House of Representatives on Wednesday for inciting a riot.

(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by GossipMantri staff and published from a syndicated feed.)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here