Rohit Sharma will join Team India after completing his 14-day quarantine in Sydney.© AFP
Indian opener Rohit Sharma will fly from Sydney on Wednesday (December 30) and join the rest of the team in Melbourne as the third Test in the series of four matches will be played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground with the in view of the recent outbreak of coronavirus cases in Sydney. Speaking with ANI, sources aware of developments within Cricket Australia (CA) said the opener will be flown to Melbourne and enter Team India’s bio bubble on Wednesday.
“Yes, it will be flown by CA to Melbourne on Wednesday, as the third match will almost take place at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) in view of the coronavirus outbreak,” the source said.
Nick Hockley, interim CEO of Cricket Australia, said last week that they have “strong contingency plans” if the situation in Sydney worsens, while reiterating that everyone’s well-being is their “first priority”.
“Should the public health situation in NSW make playing in Sydney unsustainable, CA’s contingency plan is to work with the Victorian government to play the third Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, followed by the fourth Test in Gabba,” said CA.
Hockley had said that a final decision on the third test site would be made over Boxing Day.
“We have always maintained that planning a full summer of cricket during a global pandemic requires agility, problem solving and teamwork like never before. We continue to make the safety and wellbeing of all involved our first priority. NSW have given cause for optimism, but if the situation in Sydney worsens, we have strong contingency plans, ”Hockley said in a statement.
Topics mentioned in this article