Texas on alert for brain-eating amoeba kills boys, Jan.

0
15

Tests showed traces of the amoeba in the faucet of the garden hose in the boy’s house.

Houston, United States:

The Texas governor issued a disaster declaration following the death of a six-year-old boy infected with a brain-eating amoeba that was later found in his community’s water supply.

The child died on September 8th after being infected by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic organism that breeds in the warm, fresh water of lakes and rivers and in poorly maintained swimming pools.

The amoeba enters the body through the nasal membranes and enters the brain. It causes severe migraines, hyperthermia, stiff neck and vomiting, then dizziness, extreme tiredness, confusion and hallucinations.

Tests revealed traces of the amoeba in the faucet of the garden hose in the boy’s house, a Lake Jackson city spokesman said, quoted by local media.

Traces were also found in a downtown well and fire hydrant in a city just an hour from the big city of Houston, said Modesto Mundo, a city official.

The grandparents of Josiah McIntyre, the late child, told the Houston Chronicle that he may have been exposed to contaminated water in a downtown splash park shortly before he became ill.

Splash Park has since closed, and several Brazoria county towns where Lake Jackson is located advised residents not to use tap water for drinking, bathing, or cooking.

This advice has since been lifted, but authorities are urging residents to boil water before using it.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott issued a disaster declaration for Brazoria County, which includes Lake Jackson, on Sunday.

The declaration allows the authorities to use additional government funds in the event of an emergency.

Between 1983 and 2010, the Texas health authorities attributed 28 deaths to the amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

(This story was not edited by GossipMantri staff and is automatically generated from a syndicated feed.)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here