TikTok Choking Video “Extremely Dangerous”, “Suicide Induces”: Italian Police

0
17
->

Italy has temporarily blocked TikTok access for users whose age could not be verified. (Representative)

Rome:

Italian police on Thursday accused a Sicilian woman of “suicide” over a suffocation video posted on TikTok a week after the accidental death of a child in a so-called blackout challenge.

Police said the video that the 48-year-old Sicilian “influencer” posted on the social media platform without restrictions was “extremely dangerous” and could be viewed by anyone, including children.

The video shows a challenge between the woman and a man “in which both their faces, including their nostrils and mouth, have been wrapped with transparent tape so they cannot breathe,” police said in a statement, adding that the video had been taken down.

Italian investigators have been investigating TikTok, a video-sharing network operated by Chinese company ByteDance, since the death of a 10-year-old girl last week who allegedly participated in such a “suffocation game” that induces oxygen in the brain on a high.

Italy’s data protection officer temporarily blocked TikTok access for users whose age could not be definitively proven.

Police did not say Thursday whether the girl’s video in question had been viewed, but noted that it and similar “could be emulated by minors”.

The woman who posted the video had posted numerous other similar challenges “that enabled her to gain popularity and the attention of 731,000 followers of various ages”.

Newsbeep

Viewers were allowed to take up the challenge, police said, citing a post in which one user wrote, “If you say hello to me, I swear I’ll jump out the window.”

Prosecutors authorized a search of the woman’s computer and social network accounts.

According to TikTok’s terms and conditions, users must be at least 13 years old.

Italy’s data regulators announced on Wednesday that they are also investigating how minors access Facebook and Instagram.

The guard dog filed a lawsuit against TikTok in December alleging “lack of attention to protecting minors” and criticizing the ease with which very young children could enroll.

(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by GossipMantri staff and published from a syndicated feed.)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here