UK tabloid wins final battle against Meghan’s privacy claim

0
18

Meghan lost the last stand in her data protection lawsuit against a tabloid. (File)

London:

Meghan, the British Duchess of Sussex, lost the recent stand in her privacy lawsuit against a tabloid after the London High Court ruled Tuesday that the paper could change its case to include details from a recently published biography.

Meghan, the wife of Queen Elizabeth’s grandson Prince Harry, is suing Associated Newspapers over articles that the Mail printed on Sunday last year that contained parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018 .

Prior to a trial set to begin next year, the Mail had requested permission to change her case, arguing that the couple collaborated on a biography about her, “Finding Freedom,” which was released in August.

The newspaper’s lawyers said this shows that Meghan intended to release some private details, including the contents of the letter.

Judge Francesca Kaye said that while the amendments did not address the strength of the Mail case, the amendments could not be described as “undeniable or extremely fanciful”.

The trial is slated to begin on January 11th and last between seven and ten days.

Harry and Meghan now reside in California after stepping down from royal leadership positions in March.

Meghan’s legal team has estimated the case to be just under £ 1.8 million ($ 2.3 million), while the cost of the mail is estimated at more than £ 1.2 million.

(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by GossipMantri staff and published from a syndicated feed.)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here